On Sunday, May 3, the second annual Mother's Day/May Day Drop In & Decorate® party will take over Lydia's Rhode Island kitchen for an afternoon of fun with icing, sprinkles, squeeze bottles, music and good creative energy.
In honor of mothers everywhere, we're donating the cookies to two first-time recipients: Lucy's Hearth, in Middletown RI, serving nine homeless women and their children; and SSTARbirth, in Cranston, serving 14 chemically dependent pregnant or postpartum women and their children. We're also donating to the member agencies of the Rhode Island Coalition Against Domestic Violence.
I know what you're thinking.
That sounds great, but how can I get in on it?
Well, this year, we're going coastal!
We're hoping to donate 1,000 cookies between May 1-10, 2009, to shelters, food pantries, kids' programs, senior centers, and local agencies all across the country.
If you've been thinking about organizing your own Drop In & Decorate® event, now's the time.
- Pick a date between May 1 and 10. (Allow 1-2 hours for decorating.)
- Let us know that you're planning a decorating party (email to lydia AT dropinanddecorate DOT org).
- Invite a few friends, co-workers, neighbors, your worship group or book group. Or plan to decorate with your kids.
- Bake some cookies. If you don't like to bake, ask others to bring a batch of cookies each (try our super-easy and delicious sugar cookie recipe).
- Collect a few decorating and wrapping supplies. (Our free brochure tells you how.)
- Spend an hour or two decorating your cookies.
- Wrap the cookies.
- Donate your cookies to a local agency. We can help you find a place to donate if you don't know of one in your community.
Remember to take photos while you're decorating, and count your cookies.
The organizer(s) of the event that donates the most cookies will win a cool package of prizes.
Please help us donate 1,000 cookies for Mother's Day. It's a great way to celebrate!