So you'd like to host a Drop In & Decorate® party, but you have a small dining table (or no table), and a tiny kitchen.
Can you do it?
Don't let a small space defeat you.
- Think small. Some Drop In & Decorate parties have decorated and donated one or two dozen cookies.
- If your kitchen is too small for baking, ask friends to each bake a batch of cookies and bring them to your party. Remember that you can bake ahead and store the undecorated cookies in the freezer.
- Throw inexpensive plastic shower curtain liners or dropcloths over your couch -- or on the floor -- to create a larger decorating area. We buy ours at the local dollar store.
- Anything can make a decorating "table"; think about ottomans, footstools, or cardboard boxes. Cover with plastic (the colored disposable tablecloths sold in party stores will make your space look festive, no matter what's underneath).
- Buy or borrow a large sheet of inexpensive plywood (make sure it's thick enough to be rigid) or an old hollow-core door, and build a table with piles of books at each corner.
- Use paper plates to create icing "stations" for each person.
- You'll need to plan for storing the cookies overnight while they dry. A large rimmed cookie sheet (also called a half sheet pan or jelly-roll pan) will hold 22-25 cookies. Borrow as many as you need from your friends, or ask your company cafeteria or a local house of worship. You'll only need the cookie sheets for one night, and any commercial kitchen will have lots of them. Stack them at 90-degree angles to make a single pile, and throw a clean sheet over the top if needed to keep them dust-free as they dry.
- Think about moving your party to another location. Can you host an event at work? At a local community center or place of worship? At your local library?
These are just a few ideas to get your party started. If you have specific questions, please get in touch with us and we'll brainstorm. We are here to help! Email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 401-567-4460.
Have you hosted a Drop In & Decorate party in a small space? Please share any advice!