If you prepare or handle food for donation, you must be sure you meet the highest standards of sanitation to make sure the food is safe to eat.
While these standards are especially important if you work in a food-service operation, they are just as valid in your home kitchen, especially when decorating cookies.
We recommend using non-latex thin vinyl gloves, available at any pharmacy and most supermarkets in boxes of 50. They're inexpensive and disposable.
Here are our recommendations:
- Do not handle cookies if you are sick (even if you are wearing gloves).
- Tie your hair back.
- Wash your hands thoroughly in hot soapy water.
- Wear gloves when handling any baked cookies, decorating cookies, or wrapping and packing cookies.
- Change gloves often.
- Do not reuse gloves.
- Do not wear gloves to the bathroom.
- Do not go outside with gloves on.